What Is the Treatment for Flushing As a Result of Drinking Alcohol?

So you're experiencing flushing after drinking alcohol? Most likely, your first reaction was embarrassment. Why me? Well, there's a condition called Asian flush or Asian glow that exists and you may have heard about it.

As the name implies, this condition primarily affects people of Asian descent. Approximately 50% of the Asian population have this condition. The sufferers of Asian flush lack a certain enzyme called ALDH2. This enzyme helps metabolize alcohol in the liver. Long story short, because this enzyme is not doing its job, toxins will accumulate in the body causing the flushing.

The treatment for this type of flushing is not as easy as taking a pill. In fact, there is no prescription on the market that will cure this condition. Wouldn't it be great if there was a pill that you could take like a birth control pill that prevent your flushing from occurring and drink all you want? Sorry, no such luck.

I have had Asian flush all of my adult life. For years, I didn't realize that there was anything wrong with me. I had feelings of flushing on my face and cheeks but I ignored them. It wasn't until someone told me that my face was red and mentioned that he knew of other people that had the same problem. He said it was called Asian flush. I decided to do some research on this subject on the internet.

Based on my research, I have concluded that there are some ways to treat Asian flush without the use of prescription drugs. There are "over the counter" drugs, food choices, and special techniques to follow before drinking that will help curb the symptoms from occurring.

There are over the counter drugs such as Pepcid AC and Zantac that seem to work part way. It's not a cure but it seems to help some sufferers with flushing. Pepcid AC and Zantac are H2 blockers. H2 blockers help reduce acid in the stomach. Drinking alcohol increases acid in the stomach. Thus, it counteracts the effect alcohol has on the sufferer's body. It definitely helps with reducing symptoms but should not be considered a cure-all for this condition.

There are food choices that might aid in reducing Asian flush symptoms. Eating complex carbohydrates such as bread, crackers and toast are a good food choice to help soak alcohol in the stomach. Also, cheese, poultry, eggs and milk will do the same and stay in your digestive system longer. Eating fruits or drinking fruit juices with fructose and a high concentration of vitamin C will aid in speeding up the body's ability to metabolize alcohol.

These are a few techniques I have used to help with reducing flushing. Today, I have been able to continue to drink socially even though I have Asian flush. It is a hurdle to jump but it is possible work through your problem with the right techniques.

Want to learn more about Asian flush and techniques on how to treat Asian flush? There are also other pertinent topics about Asian flush on the Asian Flush site.


Original article

No comments:

Blog Archive